Pharmacies may be asked to participate in local or regional projects to benefit patients belonging to a specific cohort. Occasionally it may be for selected patients in a pilot or for a research project. Below are steps that can be taken to group these patients together for reporting purposes and to prompt pharmacies to take certain actions when the patient is selected.
1. Find your patients
If you already have a list of patients provided, start by gathering them together in a contact list:
- Create a list of all the patients’ NHIs in a spreadsheet or text document, then copy the list (i.e., save the list of NHIs to clipboard).
- From the main menu, go to 6. Contact > 4. Quick contact lists, then press F3 Add > Patients.
- Press F10 Other > 5 Paste NHI Numbers and say Yes to the prompt.
- Enter a descriptive Contact list name and press F12 Accept Details.
Bulk edit patients (from the main menu: 9. Other > 2. Bulk edit patients, and press F3 Add if required) is a powerful tool to find patients who have the same attributes, for example by:
- Contact list: If a contact list was created as described above, the patients in it can be selected by pressing the spacebar in On contact list and picking the contact list they were saved under.
- Age: Either select an age to find patients that age and older (i.e., setting Age = 65 will find patients 65 years old and older) or put an age range in (e.g., setting Age = 14 and to = 17 will find all patients aged 14 to 17 years old inclusive).
- Ethnicity: Press F11 Next Page to select a specific Ethnicity from the drop-down box (press the spacebar) or tick Māori/Pacific Islander only.
- Prescriber: Patients with scripts from a Prescriber can be found, but select a Date Range F3 or set a Period as well, otherwise all patients with a script from that prescriber will be selected.
Once the required parameters have been selected, run the report by pressing F12 Accept Details on the first screen. To find, for example, patients 65+ years or Māori/Pacific Islander, further patients can be added to the resulting list using F2 Edit List > Add more patients in bulk. Alternatively, you can Remove patients in bulk under F2 Edit List, e.g., to find patients who are Māori/Pacific Islander but not 65 years or over.
Note: if multiple criteria are set at once (i.e., not using the Edit list functionality described above), the final report will find patient who fit all the parameters selected (e.g., 65+ years old and Māori/Pacific Islander and who had scripts from a certain doctor).
2. Add a note and prompt to the patients
Once Bulk edit patients has the required patients listed, a note can be set against each patient which can be used for reporting purposes:
- Press F5 Set note and choose 1 Append to note (which will not over-write notes already attached to patients).
- Enter informative note text, prefixed by a space (so that there is a space between the new note and any other note the patient has), and press F12 Accept Details.
- Optional: If the note requires Toniq users to do something, e.g., remove co-pay from a script, use F5 Set note > so the user is prompted with the note when the patient is selected.
3. Remove co-pay
Often local schemes are aimed at a cohort to remove the patients' script co-payment. To do this, a ‘fee’ with a negative dollar value may be dispensed to the relevant patients.
Set up the fee (once only):
- From the main menu go to 2. Stock control > 4. Maintain medicine
- Enter 99999301 to find the COPAY - DISCOUNT stockcard
- Following instructions on the dispensing note:
- Edit the stockcard, and:
- Enter a Retail Price of -$5.00
- Tick the Fee and No updates tick boxes
- Make the Shortcut = copay
- Delete the Dispensary note instructions on the second screen (pictured above)
- Press F12 Accept Details to save
Dispense the discount
Before the end of a visit, dispense the Copay - discount ‘fee’ to remove the co-pay value after the script has been processed – set the Quantity to the number of scripts with a co-pay. For example, an A4 patient who has 5 items with a co-payment, dispense a quantity of 5 x Copay - discount to give a discount of $25.00.