Pharmacists have been able to provide funded Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) since 1 October 2017. NRT is treatment with any of the nicotine products listed in the Pharmaceutical Schedule, namely nicotine patches, gum and lozenges.
Nicotine replacement medicines can be supplied to a patient:
- on a doctor's prescription,
- through a Quitline provider, or
- directly to the patient by a pharmacist.
Processing a pharmacist supply
- The Pharmaceutical Schedule lists the subsidy claimable for the NRT medicine only - it does not cover any other fees for services provided
- Discuss with your DHB Portfolio Manager further Smoking Cessation Services as outlined in Section 3B.6 of the Integrated Community Pharmacy Services Agreement (ICPSA)